Dare To Do Hard Things


 What's the hardest thing you have ever done? What pushed you into doing that thing?
Did you regret it? Was it something you chose to do? Woukd you do it again based on lessons learned or results brought about?

Chopping firewood is definitely not the hardest thing I have ever done.  In fact, it is one of my easier chores I have done.  But, if you would have asked me a week ago if I could chop the giant pile of logs outside my house, I would have adamately told you no. In fact, I did tell Ben that no, I could not chop the firewood.

Life is not always easy on a family homestead when your partner in crime travels a lot.

Here is how our conversation the other night went:

B:  Hey,  how are you?
A:  Fine.  How are you?
B:  Tired.  Going to bed.

Pretty standard stuff for us when Ben is out if town.   I was not expecting the next question.

B: Why haven't you been chopping the firewood?
A: (Almost spits out her drink from surprise). Are you serious with me? Or are you trying to be funny?
B: Why wouldn't I be serious?
A:  (trying to process... which usually takes 10x's longer than Ben's genius brain can handle)
A:  ummmm  because I dont know how to chop wood and the only other times I have ever chopped wood was when you were teaching me and I barely even chopped 2 logs before we realized it was painfully going no where...
B:  I still dont understand why you're not getting the chopping done.

In fact, the last time I had tried to chop firewood, under Ben's supervision, he jokingly and lovingly remarked that that particular log was going to burn very well because it was so aerated...

I have come to understand over the last few years that if Ben says I can do something, I'm going to at least try.  He isn't always right about my abilities, but he is most of the time.  Luck for both of us, this wood is nice and dry and is splitting nicely.

Of course, new abilities come with new responsibilities. I'm not sure how I will feel about this chopping wood thing the next time Ben wants me to take over. But, I am grateful that it is yet one more skill I have learned on Bkack Cap Farm that can sustain me and my family.

Feelings while chopping:

Powerful
Strong
Calm
Stress relief
Prepared
Confident
Happy
Enjoyment
Happy

So, here's to trying new things.  To being brave. To risk of failure. To working hard. To listening to your husband's judgment. To the joy of living.

What can you try that might be new, challenging, or daunting?

It might be big, or it might be small.

Take that step forward.  Have faith, hope, and courage. You might fail, or you might succeed.  But, even if you fail this time, you can always learn something along the way.

When a reporter asked Thoas Edison how it felt to fail 1,000 times before inventing the light bulb he replied, "I didn't fail 1,000 times.  The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps."
(https://www.uky.edu/~eushe2/Pajares/OnFailingG.html)



Feeling happy

I have mo' wocks, momma!

I want to challenge you to take the step forward in whatever good thing you have in your life that you might be hesitating to try because it seems too hard.

You can do great things.  You can do hard things.

And, of course, enjoy the rocks along the way.

As always, I love all of you!

❤Amy


Don't forget to pass this message along to your friends on pinterest, Facebook, email, etc.!

Follow us of Facebook, Pinterest, Snapchat, or Instagram!



Comments