Confidence in the Face of Average


I haven't always been confident.  I used to be painfully shy.  People worried about my ability to make friends in grade school.

As I am writing this, I am realizing that this shyness came from feeling like I had to be cool, or fit in in order to be confident.  In fact, it works in the opposite way... people are attracted to people who are confident no matter what they look like, sound like, or do.

I started to really work through my shyness during my senior year of high school.  As I started being myself with confidence, the other kids started to notice me.  Now,  I am not saying this is important or good for grade schoolers.  But I do think it applies to every stage of life.

I do not think it is important to get everyone to like you.  I do, however, think it is important to be confident for the sake of loving, understanding, believing in, and enjoying yourself.  As you do this, no matter how many friends you have, I believe it will increase your joy in life.

I am pretty sure I am a very average person.

I am averagely short (or shorter)
I am of average intelligence
I have an average fashion sense
I have an average face
I have average hair
I have an average body
On average, I am pretty productive
On average, I am a good mom and wife
My talents are... average

And that is ok

Because everything average about me is unique.

I know who I am
I know my values
I know I am loved
I know I love myself
I know where I come from
I know I am blessed
I know what is important... and that "stuff" isn't
I know God lives
I know I am a child of God

That is where my confidence comes from.

It isn't always easy to feel confident.  In fact, it's hard more often than not.  We are told by the world that we either fit in a mold or we are only worth enough to be sold in the discount outlet with all of the other clothes with uneven sleeves and missing buttons or crooked labels.

When we are not confident and doubt our worth, our kids will learn from our example. They notice us tugging at our clothes, examining our facial features, our subtle comments to others.

I think we can change the world if we raise our children to be confident and full of self love and unique taste and beauty.

I think this starts with ourselves.

This starts with changing our mindset, beliefs, and thoughts.

Then our body language, words, and actions will reflect our beliefs.

Then, our children will learn from our example.

Then, their lives will be beautiful.


Here are some less than average pictures of my average self on an average day.












P.S.  I love you all and your average yet priceless, beautiful selves. It is ok to be average.  Average doesn't mean you're not special.  It just simply means we are all human. We are all in the same boat.  We don't have to look like we came off of the red carpet runway to be special. We just have to love ourselves and know we are loved.


❤Amy

Comments