For the Joy of Living

For the joy of living.  What does it mean? It means enjoying the things of daily life, and therefore finding joy in life.

I think we seek happiness far too often in events, outings, things, and grandeous goals.

I think we seek happiness far too little in the small every day happenings that seem trivial, inconsequential, or even troublesome.


Enjoy the little things.




I enjoy hanging the laundry. It turns a to- do list checkmark into a relaxing, quiet, therapeutic time.  A time to meditate.  A time to feel the cool, damp cloth on my skin.  A time to slow down and find the joy in life instead of just getting the chore done.  When I'm using a dryer, I enjoy folding the warm clothes into neat, fresh and clean piles declaring a new start, a rebirth, a chance to be worn again and live another day.

Ok, so I don't always enjoy washing the dishes... especially if I have fallen behind to the point where my toddler declares a warning to me that "the dirty dishes are winning!"   At that point, it becomes overwhelming and my feet start to ache even before I start.  But...

As I wash the dishes I try to remember to enjoy the moment. To find the joy of living.  I remember a story I once heard of a lady who was once blind and, through a new surgery at the time, was able to regain her eyesight.  She was in such awe and amazement at everything she saw that she could hardly even believe the beauty of the soap bubbles in her kitchen sink.  I try to see the beauty in the bubbles, in the warm water on my hands, in the sounds, in the movement of my body as I scrub, in the act of making something clean... again. And again. 

I have not found the ability to find the joy in vacuuming or cleaning the bathroom. If you have any suggestions, comment below!

So, here's to finding the joy in living. Good luck, my friends.  I love you all.  

❤Amy


Comments